Question: What is/are Prophetic Art(s) as You Understand the Term?

Lew Curtiss

Coach
Hello Fellow Artists of Father God,

While at the Gathering Conference back in late July 2017, I witnessed a number of visual artists painting during both the talks our guest speakers gave and during the worship times. In fact, I spent a fair amount of time with Dinah Rau over to the right of the stage as she painted some incredibly inspired work. I guess I was drawn to Dinah because, as an artist myself, I was particularly engaged by her work.

During worship, I listened and was invited into some of the worship music expression from the stage. It was a delight to participate. Drumming, as a prayer language, I grasp that. Like Todd, Elizabeth, and Daniel, I am moved by rhythms and musical sounds.

Like drumming, I can also grasp the personal expression of flagging. I understand how our bodies can move in dance and worship with flagging. I am reminded of King David celebrating in dance as the Ark of the Covenant returned to Jerusalem. While I'm not a flagger myself, I certainly do move to the sounds and rhythms coming from the musicians.

What I have yet to grasp is what's going on with an artist while they paint or draw during presentations and worship. Where does the impetus to make visual art, during a conference or a service come from? How do you connect with that inspiration, and how are you able to translate it into visual art?

Lastly, I realize that my own collage / mixed-media arts practice is prophetic in its very nature. In the studio, I have all the time in the world to make art with Father, listening to Him and working at a decidedly leisurely pace. I grasp that much, but not how one creates visual art in front of a crowd in the pressing time constraints of several hours of praise and worship.

Thanks for listening,
Lew ~

Reactions: Del

Alice

Administrator
Coach
Hi Lew!

I can only speak for myself, although, from my talks with other artists who paint at conferences and other corporate worship venues, I think I'm not alone in how this works.

I've written about my journey into the realm of prophetic art, and painting during corporate worship some at my blog. My journey started in my studio when I noticed that when I painted, that's when I felt the pleasure of God the most. I generally had music or podcasts playing regardless of what I was doing, and I began to notice that God spoke to me while I created in different ways depending on what I was listening to. I'm also a scientist, so I began to experiment and see what would happen if I tried this or that. I noticed that something interesting happened when I was listening to worship from services or conferences online. I wondered if there would be a difference if I were to paint there in person. I'm connected with the house of prayer that was 3 hours away at the time (I've since moved closer) so I asked if I could paint one night during worship to see what it was like. I didn't know it was a "thing", I was just curious.

What I found then, and what I continue to find, is that the painting becomes a visual expression - or even a kinetic one with the movements of painting - of what is happening in the room. It often feels like I'm painting what is being sung, or they are singing what I'm painting. My belief is that the artwork's role is to release what God wants released into the room. Partly, for me, that's through having the courage to stand in front of a bunch of people with a blank board and no idea what I'm about to do. In conquering my fear, I release fearlessness.

It's not a verbal process for me, none of my paintings are. I'll sometimes see something that I need to paint, though that's rare, other times, I'll hear a phrase that helps me know what direction to head. And sometimes it's being led stroke by stroke.

If you would like to check out my blogs about the art created at The Gathering, you can find the one that's mostly about my work here; and the one that is a comparison of the themes and expressions of all four of the artists here. I have other blogs about other places I've painted as well.

I'm happy to answer any other questions, or go more in detail about something for you.
I know when I got started, I had trouble articulating the questions I had in my heart... That's still true, but I'm finding more and more words as I go along.

Alice

Administrator
Coach
PS - I think that to a certain extent, a believer who paints is a prophetic artist... I don't think that you have to paint in front of people, or paint particular imagery or anything. If prophesy is to reveal God to others, then your work is bound to do so because He is inside you. You are expressing His heart as the Creator when you create. That's not necessarily limited to believers, either. However, I believe that there is, or should be, a purity of expression that results when you are an active conduit of God's Presence. Intention is something that I'm exploring, and I believe it has a profound impact on the piece and the viewer.

Lew Curtiss

Coach
Alice ~

Thank you for your insights. They're very nourishing.

I agree with you that believing artists are prophetic in that we artists journey into the invisible, unseen realms and bring something from there into the visible for others to engage. Our work is, to my mind, always some kind of insight from Father God for each person who engages the work.

I also agree that there are countless artists who aren't believers who are doing the self same thing, bringin something from Father God into this world for others to engage in. Examples range from motion pictures (Princess Monanoke, Kingdom of Heaven, The Matrix) to documentary still-photography, public murals, etc. Father's love and invitation seems to leak in through some of the most unlikely sources. He urgently loves us afterall and pursues us in that love.

I love your website and the pieces you shared on art and artists from the Conference 2017.

Lew ~