Faith & Art Books: An Army Arising / Christ Otto

Lew Curtiss

Coach
Okay, let's see how this experiment works. I've been asked by some in the community to share something of the books that I've found to be so incredibly nourishing to me in my faith-driven arts practice. This is the first of what will undoubtedly be many threads of discussion.

An Army Arising: Why God's artists are on the frontline of the next move of God
by Christ (like wrist) John Otto / 2013 - Belonging House Creative / 175 pages
www.belonginghouse.org

This book is something of a clarion call to Father God's artists to become aware of the significance Father places upon those of us who are artistically creative. Otto begins by laying a foundation for us around the brief but incredibly powerful story of Bezalel and Oholiab (Exodus 31). These are two hand-picked artisans (charashim) of God who lead and managed the creation of the tabernacle in the wilderness. In fact, Bezalel is the very first person in scripture to be filled with the Holy Spirit. In effect, these two created a heavenly place on Earth so that Father God could dwell among the people of the tribes of Israel. Christ goes on to speak of what he calls An End-Time Army of Artists (Zechariah 1:18-21).

What affected me personally is learning just how vital God's artists to Him in these and future times. It's an honor and a privilege to be among those whom He calls His charashim (artists and artisans of all media) to produce work of excellence and as a means through which He speaks to the visible world.

We are also given a sobering warning when Christ asks, Do you know who you are, and do you understand the enemy we all face? Have you become a part of the spirit of the age? Have you embraced the name God has given you? pg-56.

If you're one of Father God's artisan, one of His charashim, I strongly encourage you to get a copy of this book and be prepared to be fed to overflowing. Beloved's artists are being called to make a difference and to create a throne here on Earth for our Lord, Savior, and Brother, Jesus.

Personally, I can't wait to hear your comments and to engage in fruitful discussion with you.
Lew ~

Here are links;
Amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/Army-Arising...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Goodreads -
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20661832-an-army-arising

Lew Curtiss

Coach
Walking On Water: Reflections on Faith and Art
by the late Madeleine L'Engle / 1980 - 7th Printing - 2001 / 198 pages

For decades, many of us in the arts have encountered this landmark masterwork by novelist Madeleine L'Engle. For many of us, this book is the first of its kind and has become something of a Bible regarding the convergence of faith and art. I cannot say enough about the absolute life changing effect this book has had on my life as an artist.

L'Engle was entirely reluctant to comment on this subject, much less write a book about it. But her good friend poet, Luci Shaw kept after her about it and we all benefit. Thank you, Ms. Shaw.

This book is dripping with nourishment, counsel, encouragement, and permission to get on with it - get on with making the art, regardless of the medium, that Father God has built and birthed each of us to make. Let me share a particular idea L'Engle sets forth, and which I've oft quoted as encouragement to my fellow artists; "I believe that each work of art, whether it is a work of great genius, or something very small, comes to the artist and says, 'Enflesh me. Give birth to me.' And the artist either says, 'My soul doth magnify the Lord.' and willingly becomes the bearer of the work, or refuses." pg 18. This parallel drawn between young Mary, Jesus' soon to be mother, and us, Father's artists is very powerful. It sets before us the undeniable fact that Father God Himself calls us to step into our creative destinies and to incarnate those invisible expressions of which we artists are uniquely aware.

Thanks for listening,
Lew ~